Salmon and asparagus are a great combination and their flavours go well together. Here is my recipe I made the other evening, this did me 1 main meal with a little left over for a small meal later in the week.
- 1 Salmon Steak
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 tsp Rapeseed OIl
- Small Knob Butter (about 10g)
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes
- 120g Asparagus (lots left over so probably could have used about 80g (this would be classed as a portion!!)
- 200ml Chicken Stock, I use Knorr’s Concentrated Chicken Stock which is about 2 tsp & 200ml water.
- 75g Tesco’s 7 quick cook grains
- 50ml Double Cream/Creme Fraiche (optional) but brings the dish together nicely
- Black pepper
Cook the grains as per the pack instructions, while they are cooking you can do the rest of the cooking.
I add the oil and butter to the pan, add the onion and gently cook until the onion is translucent, Make a space in the middle of the pan and add in the Salmon steak skin side down and turn the heat, you want to crisp the skin as it’s easier to remove!! Turn the heat up a bit to help crisp the skin
After about 3 minutes, turn over the salmon – remove the skin (eat if desired), turn the heat down cook for another minute or so
Then add the chopped asparagus, cherry tomatoes, stock (or concentrate & water), you want about 2cm of liquid in the pan; cover and leave for about 5-6 minutes, keep an eye on it to ensure that it doesn’t dry out and burn, however, you only want a small amount of liquid left before you add in the grains and cream
Gently flake the fish and combine with the other ingredients, add in the cooked grains & cream if using, mix well and cook for 1 minute to just heat the cream through, season with black pepper and serve.